Dehydration and what to do against it
Not drinking enough is a big issue all around the world.
Dehydration and what to do against it. It is remarkable how many adults are chronically dehydrated. In Germany it is every 2nd adult and in America even 3 out of 4 people. The number one country is Australia with 80%.
Drinking enough water helps your body work better and feel better. It helps your metabolism perform more effectively and improves your concentration.
As we age, it becomes more important to drink enough water. In fact, dehydration is one of the top 10 reasons for hospitalizations in the elderly!
We have summarised 8 points for you with which you can encourage people and the elderly to drink more fluids and for sure yourself:
- Educate yourself and other people to realise the importance of hydration.
- Identify optimal fluid intake on an individual basis.
- Provide preferred fluids e.g., still or soda water with lemon, mint etc. added.
- Water is fresh and not stagnant perhaps also cool.
- Remind others and yourself to drink (alarm clock).
- In between also drink or provide non-sweet tea or coffee.
- Write down how much is consumed and set goals, e.g., 1 litre before noon.
- Have water always at hand, especially if you leave the house, pack a small water bottle in your bag.
We hope that we have been able to motivate you to implement one or two of these tips and drink more in the future. Of course, on warm summer days it is important to drink more than you need, because you lose a lot of fluid through sweating.
Motivate the elderly
To motivate older people to drink more, Remedic has developed an ergonomic water glass with an attachment for storing pills. However, this water glass is designed precisely for everybody who has problems with grasping, its possible to effortlessly grasp the glass and drink. The glass has scale markings to measure out water, because some medications may not work properly or can cause throat irritation if not taken with enough water. This makes it one of the best pill dispensers combined with a water glass for elderly and patients with dexterity problems. You can find the product under the following link on our homepage https://remedic.co/product/ergonomic-medication-cup-with-pill-box-for-medicine-and-supplements/